This is a recipe that I developed for vegan low-fat Indian butter tofu.
- Mince 1 onion, 1/2 inch (or more to you liking) of ginger, and 3 cloves of garlic. Also mince a couple herbs of cilantro and save for later.
- In a pot heat up olive oil with three teaspoons of butter on medium heat and add the onion, ginger, and garlic. Cook with salt and pepper to taste until onions and garlic are translucent and fragrant. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- After 5-8 minutes add 1 tablespoon of Garam Masala, 1 teaspoon of allspice, 1 teaspoon of coriander, 1 teaspoon of cumin, and a teaspoon of salt. Use the spoon (or whatever you’re using to mix) and scratch the bottom of the pan to prevent the seasoning from sticking. Stir occasionally to make sure the spice doesn’t stick.
- After 3-4 minutes add 14 ounces or half of a 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes. In this recipe I used cento for a good quality sauce. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper and a dash of the Garam Masala.
- After the tomato sauce has cooked for about 5 minutes add 1/2 cup of coconut milk, three tablespoons of sugar, and 1/4 cup of plain yogurt. If you’d like add another teaspoon of butter. Add salt and pepper to taste, so add it if you believe the sauce needs it. Reduce the heat to low.
- After 10-15 minutes or until the sauce thickens turn off heat and sprinkle with minced cilantro from earlier. Take off from heat
- Cut tofu into about 1/2 inch rectangles.
- Coat tofu generously in cornstarch and take off the excess with your finger by swiping it off.
- Coat a skillet with oil on medium heat and wait for it to get hot.
- Add the tofu and cook until it’s brown on both sides.
Serve with rice, tofu cut into smaller pieces, and sauce!